The Commonwealth Transportation Board held a meeting on November 11th at Randolph-Macon college to discuss the Tier II Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). The discussion was for the whole corridor — not just the Ashland/Hanover section.
Here are a few notes:
- 3,350 comments were submitted during the Tier II EIS comment period— over half were from the Ashland/Hanover area.
- They are recommending the 3-2-3 option: 3 tracks to north of Vaughan Rd. and three tracks south of Ashcake Rd., with two tracks running through town.
- Overpass bridges would be installed at Vaughan and at Ashcake.
- There was some discussion about installing fences along the track.
- There have been many management changes at CSX but it is not known how they might affect the project.
- There is no funding for the project.
- Various people stressed the role that new technology might play in the project — specifically hyperloop and deep bore tunnels.